If one neighborhood in San Francisco defines cool, it’s the Fillmore. A place where jazz has been the pulse of the streets for decades. A place where greats like Billie Holliday and Duke Ellington once captivated audiences in the dozens of clubs that lined Fillmore Street. More musical history was made at the legendary Fillmore Auditorium, where the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and Janis Joplin performed on their home turf. Today the beat goes on, but riffs in new ways too, including a new wave of restaurants and bars. Add our following suggestions to your Fillmore playlist when you visit us at Kimpton Buchanan Hotel.
- Fillmore Auditorium: This iconic concert venue continues to draw crowds with shows featuring major headliners, up-and-comers and comedy legends.
- Sheba Piano Lounge: Live music all week, paired with authentic Ethiopian food and a cozy fireplace.
- The Progress Restaurant: With an inventive family style menu, this American restaurant is a local favorite
- Church of Saint John Coltrane: Visitors are encouraged to come and Celebrate A Love Supreme at the Sunday service here, an only-in-San Francisco experience.
- Boom Boom Room: Bump up the BPMs here with DJ sets and live music that have attracted the likes of Prince.
- Saturday Farmers Market: In the Fillmore, live music performances are in the mix with the produce and artisanal food products featured at this weekly outdoor market.
- State Bird Provisions: Book way ahead to score a table at this famously popular restaurant. Walk-ins are also accepted, so another option is to line-up early and hope for a little Fillmore magic.
- Social Study: Hip lounge that serves gourmet coffee and pastries by day, and craft beer and California wine by night. Taco Tuesdays are also popular with the local crowd.